Each operating system has got slightly different sets of steps for resetting the admin passwords. For Windows Vista, the steps are simple and quite similar to the admin password resetting of Windows XP.
If you have forgotten your Vista admin password, you can reset it via the hidden Administrator account that can be accessed through Safe Mode. The following are the steps for the same. If you have got any questions regarding this, contact Windows Vista help desk for assistance.
- Restart your Windows Vista computer. When the system is being rebooted, keep tapping the F8 key on the keyboard to enter the BIOS Select Safe Mode from the BIOS setup menu to proceed further.
- Wait while your PC is booting in Safe Mode. The Safe Mode has got only one user login, the hidden Administrator account. Although you would see a field to fill in the password to log in, do not enter anything. Keep the field empty and select the arrow button located on the screen to continue.
- Once you are logged into the administrator account in Safe Mode, navigate straight to the Control Panel.
- Click to open the User Accounts In the User Accounts window, you would see all the users you have created in your PC. Highlight the user whose password you want to reset. Follow the on-screen directions to complete the password resetting steps.
- Once done, reboot your PC. Let the PC boot in the normal mode.
There is yet an alternative method to reset administrator password for Windows Vista operating system. If you find the first method complicated to follow, work this alternative method out.
- The alternative method to reset admin password for Vista is exe. When this method is used, the User Accessibility command will be replaced with a new command prompt. When the replacement is done, you can reset your user account password.
- Remember that you will need to have your Vista installation DVD to reset the admin password via exe.
- To begin password resetting through this method, insert the OS installation DVD and follow the on-screen directions. You would find the password reset option through utilman.exe in the options menu.
You have seen how to reset your Vista admin password in simple steps. Get in touch with the Windows Vista help desk if you find working out the above steps difficult.