Most of the devices like sound cards, video cards and TV tuner cards come under the category of PCI devices that connect to available computer expansion slots. Each and every PCI device that is connected to your computer bears a device number which might be required to produce while visiting the website of the device manufacturer, searching for drivers or using technical support service. In Windows, it is easy to find information regarding your PCI device number with the help of Device Manager. In this article you can find instructions for using Device Manager to locate the PCI device number.
Instructions for locating the PCI device number
Mentioned below are the instructions using which you can easily locate your PCI device number without having the need to dial the Windows support number.
- Start off with this procedure by clicking on the Windows “Start” button. The start button is located at the bottom left hand corner of your desktop. Alternatively, you can press the key with Microsoft logo printed on it; this will also brings up the start menu.
- Select the option which says “Run” from the start menu. If you are a Windows Vista or Windows 7 user, click on “All Programs” and then “Accessories” for getting the “Run” option.
- Enter “devmgmt.msc” in the run text box and hit the “Ok” button. This will open up the device manager.
- Now open the device type for the PCI device of which you want to locate the device number for. Say for example, if you want to find the PCI device number of your video card, expand the option “Device Adapters” in the device manager. Double-click the name of your device.
- Go to the tab titled “Details” in the properties window. Choose “Device Instance ID” or “Device Instance Path” from the drop-down menu which you can see on t he details tab.
- Find the portion of the instance path that starts with the letters “DEV”. Note down the four character code mentioned after the letters “DEV” and before the ampersand. This four charter string is the PIC number of your device.
That’s all with the instructions for locating the PCI device number. Thanks for your time and have a good day!Google+